Header image  
 
line decor
  
line decor


 
 
HISTORY & Constitution

 

The Gwent Guild was formed in 1951 by Enid Russ who taught textiles in Newport art college. The first meeting place was above the Wallace Jones furniture shop near to Newport train station and later the Guild met in rooms above the old county hall in Pentonville. Lady Raglan was the first Chair and Margaret Hughes was of the most active members. In the late 1950s the Gwent Guild became affiliated to the Association of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers. Members travelled around the country to attend the Association's activities and this led to friendships with other local guilds. Joint meetings and exhibitions were held with Gloucester, Bath and Salisbury guilds.

The premises in Pentonville were taken over by the Citizens Advice Bureau so the Gwent Guild moved first to a house on Christchurch Road then to a room above a garage owned by a friend of one of the members. When equipment was moved in it became clear that the space was too small so the Gwent Guild moved to Oxford House, Risca.

The last workshop at Risca was held on 11 July 1991 and on 13 July the Guild moved into a room of their own at Greenmeadow Community Farm, Cwmbran. We have been there ever since and moved into a newly decorated ground floor workroom in May 2010.

 

For Constitution click HERE